Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
The ancho chili powder really makes this version special. If you like, you may add 1/4 cup Tequila to the liquid ingredients (I like!).
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and halved (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups mangoes, chunks
- 2 cups melon, chunks
- 1 cup pineapple chunk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup tequila (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dried ancho chile powder
- In large bowl, combine strawberries, mango, melon and pineapple. Add orange juice, lime juice, Tequila (if using) sugar, salt and chili powder to taste; mix well.
- Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
I was really glad that the guests at our barbeque filled up on shrimp and rice so that I could eat lots of this salad after they left. The seasoning is extraordinary and really brings out the tastes of the fruits while adding something unexpected. I used watermelon, strawberries and cantaloupe. Of course, I used the tequila (more is better if you are catering to an adult crowd). This is my new favorite fruit salad and I can't wait for another excuse to make it.
Served this with dinner last night (tacos) and made a second batch for a pot-luck luncheon at work today . It was a big hit for dinner and received lots of "YUM!" reviews at the pot-luck. Very tasty! Will use it again and again!
We liked this.. it was refreshing and tasty and while there was nothing wrong with it at all, it was a case of it just not standing out in the crowd if similar zaar recipes. I didn't use the tequila, but maybe should if I tried it again to see if that would really make a difference. I'm pleased to have given the recipe a go. Please see my rating system: a lovelt 3 stars for a recipe that wasn't quite as popular as I hoped it would be. Thanks!