Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has got to be the tastiest and the most moist cornbread I have ever made. It is the most requested thing I cook, so I am sharing it. Don't let the ingredients fool you. It's unbelievable.
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 0.5 (4 ounce) canchopped green chili peppers, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F; lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in cream corn, chiles, Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to corn mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into center of the pan comes out clean.
I made this in an iron skillet exactly as written and it turned out great! This is a nice, moist corn bread
Anything with this much sugar and butter has to be good. It's kind of like a spongey corn cake, and it's very versatile and unbelievably forgiving. In an attempt to make it a little less decadent I subbed honey for half the sugar (therefore didn't melt the butter), and whole wheat flour for half the all-purpose. I used a large cast iron skillet, coated with oil and placed in the "oven" to preheat. Just before pouring off the excess oil, our power went out. So I fired up the gas grill, and baked inside it. It took quite a bit longer but I didn't think to add a thermometer so who know how hot it actually got. After ALL this, it was just excellent. Oily, but marvelous.