Sometimes I add a chopped tomato - nice easy soup with lots of flavour. Some people like to roast the whole cloves of garlic and then remove them when they remove the chillies. You can use dried chillies if you wish. Make it as hot or as mild as you want. Mexican does not have to burn your throat (although I love it that hot!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium carrots, cut lengthwise and then in 3 inch lengths
- 1 yellow zucchini, cut across in 1/4 inch round slices
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and browned on a dry skillet
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch cumin
- 2 whole chicken breasts, about 2 lbs total
- 2 dried whole guajillo chilies (hot) or 2 anaheim chilies (mild) or 2 chipotle chiles (very hot)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- 1Place the carrots, stock, browned garlic, oregano, chilies, cumin and salt in a dutch oven (5-quart) and bring to a boil.
- 2Add the whole chicken breasts, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked, approx 15 minutes.
- 3Remove chicken to a plate to cool about 10 minutes.
- 4Remove the chillies from the soup and adjust the seasoning.
- 5Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and tear it into coarse shreds.
- 6Add zucchini and chicken to the pot simmer 5 minutes.
- 7Add cilantro and serve in about 2 minutes with wedges of lime on the side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken Soup (Caldo De Pollo)
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.8
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 103.6 mg
- Sodium 654.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 40.7 g