Recipe by Debbie R.
Use plenty of lime, raw onion and cilantro! You could use vegetable stock here if you prefer (instead of the chicken stock). This is from Mark Bittman's book, :"The Best Recipes in the World."
- 6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1⁄4 cup long-grain rice
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion, preferably white
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (or more to taste)
- minced jalapeno (or other chiles, to taste and optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put stock in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Add rice, some salt and pepper; lower heat so that it just bubbles. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine vegetables with chicken, lime juice, cilantro and chiles (if using). Put in the bottom of one large bowl or 4 small ones.
- When the soup is ready, ladle it over the stuff in the bowls. Taste; adjust seasoning if necessary.