Cheesy Mexican Chicken & Rice
photo by wisewoman83
- Ready In:
- 1 (15 ounce) jar Cheese Whiz
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 5 large chicken breasts or 10 -11 chicken tenderloins
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups rice (for 4 servings, increase as needed)
- Dice onions and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a large skillet, cook in the oil until the chicken is white and fully cooked.
- Chop the bell peppers and tomatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in a large pot. Mix in the chicken, Cheese Whiz, cream of chicken soup, and salt.
- Cook on medium-low, stirring frequently, until mixture is heated through. It's ready to eat as soon as it's hot enough, but you may want to simmer it longer if you prefer less-crunchy pepper pieces.
- Cook the rice. I find that 2 cups of water and 2 cups of rice need about 2-1/2 minutes in my microwave, then 2 or 3 more minutes to sit and steam.
- Serve chicken/cheese mixture over rice. You can break up tortilla chips on top or use them to scoop it up.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!