2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Chicken Mole with ancho chilies. They give a mild, not spicy flavor. If you want to spice it up, add guajillo chilies to the soaking, or sprinkle with cayenne. Yummy too! Sop up the gravy with those tortillas, get every drop. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces dried ancho chiles (about 4)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 large onion
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 (1/2-1 inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 medium tomato, peeled,halved
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 1Place chilies in large saucepan; add water to cover.
- 2Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- 3Cover chilies with a plate to submerge them.
- 4Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- 5Heat a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat; add olive oil to coat bottom of pan.
- 6Add chicken, and lightly brown on all sides; then add 4 cups water and 1/4 onion.
- 7Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- 8Grind sesame seeds, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, oregano, and thyme until pulverized.
- 9Set aside.
- 10Drain soaked ancho chilies and remove stems and seeds.
- 11Puree chilies in blender, adding a little water if needed.
- 12Pass through a sieve to strain out the peels.
- 13Without washing blender, puree onion and tomato.
- 14Remove chicken and strain broth into a bowl or pot.
- 15Add pureed chilies and tomato-onion mixture to pan; cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 16Add ground spice mixture, 1 1/2 cups of reserved broth, chocolate.
- 17sugar, and salt to taste.
- 18Add the meat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 19Add more broth as desired for consistency.
- 20Serve with soft tortillas and steamed rice, if you desire.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken Red Mole (Mole Colorado de Pollo)
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.6
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 188.8 mg
- Sodium 205.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 48.2 g