Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Chicken Mole with ancho chilies. They give a mild, not spicy flavor. If you want to spice it up, add guajillo chilies to the soaking, or sprinkle with cayenne. Yummy too! Sop up the gravy with those tortillas, get every drop. :)
- 2 ounces dried ancho chiles (about 4)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 large onion
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 (1/2-1 inch) cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled,halved
- 1⁄2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- Place chilies in large saucepan; add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Cover chilies with a plate to submerge them.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat; add olive oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Add chicken, and lightly brown on all sides; then add 4 cups water and 1/4 onion.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Grind sesame seeds, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, oregano, and thyme until pulverized.
- Set aside.
- Drain soaked ancho chilies and remove stems and seeds.
- Puree chilies in blender, adding a little water if needed.
- Pass through a sieve to strain out the peels.
- Without washing blender, puree onion and tomato.
- Remove chicken and strain broth into a bowl or pot.
- Add pureed chilies and tomato-onion mixture to pan; cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ground spice mixture, 1 1/2 cups of reserved broth, chocolate.
- sugar, and salt to taste.
- Add the meat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add more broth as desired for consistency.
- Serve with soft tortillas and steamed rice, if you desire.
Absolutely Fantastic! Everyone loved this recipe. I didn't change a thing and it was a BIG Hit! Thank You!