Prep 1 hr 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Cool, refreshing salad with a Mexican flavor. This can be served as a side dish or entree. (Prep time includes 1 hour refrigeration time)
- 8 ounces penne pasta (2 cups uncooked)
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced
- 1 -2 stalk celery, sliced thin
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced (optional)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 (4 -7 ounce) can green chilies
- 1⁄2-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 2 cups lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream or 1⁄4 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ReaLime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse, and set aside.
- Combine all vegetables in a large bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients; stir thoroughly.
- Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat.
- Chill 1 hour, then serve.
- Note: Instead of mixing lettuce into salad, you can layer it on top to keep it from wilting.
Great tasting salad. The flavour combination worked well. I sprinkled the chicken breasts lightly with Tex-Mex seasoning before browning in roasted garlic olive oil. If short on time I think ranch dressing would work well with this salad.
Very simple and easy to prepare. Had a nice mild flavor accentuated by cumin and cilantro. A cool and refreshing choice that would be good for picnics as well as pot-lucks and warm-weather days!
This is a very good salad. I omited the bell pepper due to stomach sensitivity & it was still very flavorful. I also decreased the fat content by using light sour cream & light best foods mayonaise to create the dressing. I'm sure you'd never notice the difference.