Recipe by dale!
This is Top Secret Recipes version of The Soup Nazi's Mexican Chicken Chili. The secret to this soup seems to be the long simmering time. If you like, you can substitute turkey breast for the chicken to make turkey chili.
Top Review by Halla Steiner
This was easy to put together and won rave reviews at my house! I spiced it up a little and omitted the basil and oregano, to keep the theme Mexican. I also had to cook it in stages, and it still turned out well!
- 1 lb chicken breast fillet (4 fillets)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 potato, peeled & chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, plus liquid
- 1⁄4 cup diced canned pimiento
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash basil
- 1 dash oregano
On the side
- sour cream
- 1 pinch chopped Italian parsley
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté the chicken breasts in the olive oil in a large pot over medium/high heat.
- Cook the chicken on both side until done-- about 7-10 minutes per side.
- Cool the chicken until it can be handled.
- Do not rinse the pot.
- Shred the chicken by hand into bite-sizes pieces and place the pieces back into the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and turn heat to high.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 hours.
- Stir mixture often so that many of the chicken pieces shred into much smaller bits.
- Chili should reduce substantially to thicken and darken (less orange, more brown) when done.
- Combine some chopped Italian parsley with sour cream and serve it on the side for topping the chili, if desired.