Soup Nazi's Cream of Sweet Potato Soup
Posted above the counter of the Soup Nazi's "take-out-only" Soup Kitchen is a sign laying out three important steps to buying his soup. Knowing that to violate these rules is to risk being refused service, as most of us have seen in the classic 1995 episode of Seinfeld. This is a "copycat" version of his Cream of Sweet Potato Soup. P.S. The Rules 1. Stand on line & have your order & money ready when you get to the counter. 2. Tell the Soup Nazi your order & pay him. 3. Move to the far left to receive your order.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes (4)
- 8 cups hearty vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 dash thyme
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped cashews, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake sweet potatoes 45 minutes or until soft; cool.
- Peel away skin and place in a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes rustically (you don't need to mash them until they're entirely smooth).
- Spoon mashed sweet potato into a large saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- When the soup begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve topped with chopped cashews.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
great soup...... but to those reviewers who didn't like the consistency and/or texture of the soup , the solution is really quite simple...... blend it!!<br/>i certainly wasn't interested in a watery soup with soggy cashews either, so it seemed obvious to me to blend it for a thick, smooth consistency .<br/>i sauteed a brown onion in the pot before adding the rest. i also added half a head of roasted garlic to the mix. also, i didn't have thyme so threw in a quarter of a bunch of basil towards the end before i blended. and no half and half in Australia, so i used evaporated milk..... delish!! :)Reply
This is a great soup. I added roasted garlic to this and they went together soo well! Then after they had simmered for a while i blended the lot, to add the garlic fully. Also (i dont know if this is really soup-strange) but I simmered it with the sweet potato skins in..just to add that extra goodness then i blended them into it aswell. Tasted great and I know im getting my roughage too! Cheers for the recipe.Reply