Cook1 hr 30 mins
Easy, tasty, great weeknight casserole, freezes nicely too! (Adapted from Company's Comming Low-Fat cooking)
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, white, uncooked (I used brown basmati rice)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, with juice, broken up
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (or low fat chicken broth)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, pieces, all visible fat removed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or parsley)
- Place rice in bottom of lightly greased 3 litre casserole dish, I sprayed the dish with veggie spray.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, onion,jalapeno pepper, chili powder and water in medium bowl; stir well. Pour half the tomato mixture over the rice; arrange chicken pieces on top of tomato layer and top with remaining tomato mixture; top with cilantro.
- Bake, covered, in 325f degree oven for 1 1/2 hours until chicken and rice is cooked and all liquid is absorbed. Garnish with more cilantro if you wish.