Ground Chicken Casserole
A good tasting, quick weeknight supper casserole. See variation.
- Ready In:
- 1 (225 g) box macaroni & cheese dinner mix (Kraft dinner)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, for pasta dinner
- 1⁄4 cup milk, for pasta dinner
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium walla walla onion, chopped (sweet)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained
- 1 lb ground chicken
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, rolled and chopped in strips
- breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare pasta dinner as directed on package, with butter or margarine and milk.
- Place in a 2 quart casserole.
- Heat olive oil in large frypan, add chopped onion and sliced mushrooms, sauté till onions are just turning brown, 5 minutes.
- Add ground chicken, pepper and scramble fry with onions and mushrooms turning often until no longer pink, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes, simmer for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add chicken/tomato mixture to casserole.
- Stir to mix with pasta.
- Add chopped basil, turn several times to distribute through casserole.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top of casserole and bread crumbs if using.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbling around edges and Parmesan is melted and crisp.
- Use chopped veggies, any that you have and a half pound of very lean hamburger.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation