Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Very easy to make. Nice for kids since it not too spicy. If you want it more "soupy" add more liquid.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (11 ounce) can mexicorn, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, use pepper jack for more kick
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups low-fat milk
- In a large pot, brown and crumble the ground beef with the garlic, onion and red bell pepper. Cook until beef is mo longer pink; drain.
- Return the cooked beef mixture to the pot.
- Add to the pot, the undrained tomatoes, diced green chilies, mexicorn, black beans, salt, cumin, and pepper.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheeses and milk. Stir frequently and heat until cheese is melted and smooth -- do NOT let boil.
Very easy for a weeknight! Very mild and cheesy! Add crushed tortilla chips over the top for added flavor and crunch.
Easy and delicious, every member of the family liked it. It's pretty mild, so DH spiced it up with a few pickled jalapeno slices, but gave it thumbs up both with and without. Great for a casual winter afternoon! Made for Belly Warmers soup event, Jan. 09.