Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
The author of Seriously Simple, Diane Rossen Worthington, created this awesome and seriously simple soup.
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 canned chipotle chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 850.48 g black beans, drained
- 709.77 ml chicken stock or 709.77 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 340.19 g smoky cooked sausage, such as andouille or 340.19 g kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml fresh lime juice
- 29.58 ml very finely chopped cilantro
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream, for serving
- lime wedge, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic along with the chipotle, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the black beans and chicken stock and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Using a potato masher, coarsely crush some of the beans.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage to the beans, along with the lime juice and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Simmer the soup for 2 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve, passing the sour cream and lime wedges separately.
Instant favorite. Spicy, unique flavor. Add this one to your collection.
This soup is very good easy to make and much spicier the second day. My husband I and I both enjoyed this. Thanks for the recipe.
WOW! This is SOOO good! I made it exactly as indicated and it was fantastic. I don't think it could possibly be improved. I especially like that "zing" of the lime when added at the table. It contrasts with the cool, creamy sour cream and the "BAM!" of the chipotle. Delicious!