The author of Seriously Simple, Diane Rossen Worthington, created this awesome and seriously simple soup.
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 canned chipotle chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 850.48 g black beans, drained
- 709.77 ml chicken stock or 709.77 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 340.19 g smoky cooked sausage, such as andouille or 340.19 g kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml fresh lime juice
- 29.58 ml very finely chopped cilantro
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream, for serving
- lime wedge, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic along with the chipotle, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the black beans and chicken stock and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Using a potato masher, coarsely crush some of the beans.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage to the beans, along with the lime juice and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Simmer the soup for 2 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve, passing the sour cream and lime wedges separately.