Recipe by cbrangel
I like this recipe because it is not only low-fat but tasty. It is excellent warmed over but can eaten cold-very versatile dish for people on the go.
Top Review by Denise in NH
This dish was very easy to make and smelled wonderful while baking. I used 1 lb of ground beef instead of the ground turkey and I didn't have a mexican cornbread mix, so I made my own (I submitted recipe for the mexican cornbread to Recipezaar". My husband is not a big fan of Mexican dishes, but he went back for seconds on this one! Will surely make again.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (16 ounce) bagshredded fat free cheese (your choice)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) jar picante sauce (I prefer pace's)
- 1 (16 ounce) container fat free sour cream
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) package Mexican cornbread mix
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Start browning meat in a large skillet adding the chopped onion and green pepper-drain excess fat.
- After browning meat, stir in taco seasoning mix, corn (non-drained), and entire jar of picante sauce.
- Simmer mixture on med heat approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While meat is simmering, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix Mexican cornbread mix and your 2/3 cup milk in a medium mixing bowl; set aside. Pour about 1/2 of mixture into 9-inch casserole dish then cover with 1/2 bag of shredded cheese. Repeat-layering the two cover top with cornbread mixture-spreading over entire casserole.
- Bake in oven for approximately 25 minutes or until brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes then serve.
- Add sour cream to taste.