A Mexican twist on spaghetti with ingredients inspired by the Summer 2011 Dining on a Dollar Contest. Qualifying ingredients: Zucchini, bouillon cubes, cumin, ground beef, salsa and purple onion.
- Put a large pot of water on to boil the pasta per package directions.
- Brown ground beef and onion in skillet, drain well then add water and bouillon cube. Stir and heat to dissolve bouillon.
- Add salsa, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in zucchini and simmer approximately 5 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
- Serve sauce over cooked spaghetti noodles.
This is a very hearty, thick meat sauce. I had an 8 oz can of tomato sauce so used the whole thing rather than have 2 oz left over. I also used 1 tsp Better than Bouillon concentrate for the bouillon cube. Otherwise followed the recipe except I added a step - I grated the zucchini as suggested but then put it in a colander with 1/2 tsp kosher salt and let it drain (after squeezing gently, I had about 1/3 cup liquid! I discarded the liquid.) Served over linguine with a sprinkle of Parmesan. Garlic bread would be an excellent accompaniment (will have to get some to go with the leftovers!) I will say that this probably serves more like 5-6 (not 3-4), at least in my house. Thanks for sharing and good luck in the contest! ~Aug 17, 2001. UPDATE: Had to add that I cooked some orecchiette to go with the leftovers and I found it easier to eat as the shape of the pasta held the meat sauce better. Also topped with sharp cheddar cheese instead of Parmesan and it was ooey gooey yummy! Served with garlic bread this time too! :) Thanks again!
A very good meat spaghetti sauce with shredded zucchini. We liked the flavor of the combination of the meat, tomato sauce, salsa, cumin and chili powder. I also added chopped garlic and served over spaghetti, garlic bread with butter and parsley and a toss salad. Good luck in the contest Chef.
This was a very nice recipe. I used grated zucchini and added 1 clove of minced garlic. I really liked how quick and easy this was to make. Good luck in the contest.