Recipe by Lennie
Found on the Net while searching for a Merle Haggard salad recipe. A new celebrity recipe for my collection!
- 1 lb kielbasa or 1 lb chorizo sausage or 1 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped purple onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cubed jicama
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or 2 tablespoons cilantro, if you like the taste
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon summer savory, crumbled
- 5 teaspoons ground red chili pepper, if available (or substitute chili powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper sauce to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage in 2 tbsp oil over medium heat in Dutch oven.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add chicken to pan and cook until golden; remove and drain pan; return meat to pan and add liquid.
- Cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, put remaining oil and flour in a skillet over medium heat; cook briefly, stirring constantly; add vegetables and parsley and cook 10 minutes.
- Combine vegetable mixture with kidney beans and spices with the meat in the Dutch oven; bring to a boil; simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper and red pepper sauce.
- Add green onions and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.