- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash rice and put in top of double-boiler with milk and cook over hot water until tender.
- Beat yolks and add to rice with the 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, rind and salt.
- Continue cooking stirring occasionally until thick.
- Turn into a baking dish.
- Beat egg whites with the 2 Tbsp sugar until stiff and glossy.
- Cover over the rice mixture in baking dish.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350°F/180°C, until meringue is golden.