Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Creamy lemon rice under a topping of meringue. Makes a nice change from plain rice pudding.
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Wash rice and put in top of double-boiler with milk and cook over hot water until tender.
- Beat yolks and add to rice with the 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, rind and salt.
- Continue cooking stirring occasionally until thick.
- Turn into a baking dish.
- Beat egg whites with the 2 Tbsp sugar until stiff and glossy.
- Cover over the rice mixture in baking dish.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350°F/180°C, until meringue is golden.
I just finished licking the last bit of this pudding from my spoon. This was so good and very easy.! Thanks for the recipe!
This was every bit as heavenly as I thought it'd be! I modified a bit since I lost my double boiler pan in a move. I cooked my rice (only had long grained rice in pantry) in my pressure cooker and transferred the mixture to a heavy-bottomed pan and finished cooking on low. My meringue was fluffy and billowy. I gradually add the sugar while beating the whites and stop beating when thick and glossy (any further and the whites will become grainy). I love rice pudding and this takes it "up a notch" and makes it a cross between a lemon meringue pie/pudding. This would be great served with Nilla wafers, too. Thanks Jen T, for posting such a comfort food! roxygirl
The lemon rice pudding part of your recipe is so sublime that a rating of less than 5* would be an injustice. It was perfectly textured w/a lovely creamed lemon flavor. That said, I confess I have never been good w/meringues & I stayed true to my history. I tried to overcome the curse, but I failed that part of the recipe. I hope another will follow me, succeed where I failed & get a lovely pic for you. The recipe deserves it. Thx for sharing it w/us.