Recipe by DailyInspiration
Lots of wonderful veggies including artichoke hearts and fennel accompany the hearty potato and chickpeas in this slow cooker stew. For a thicker stew, puree up to two cups of the solids at the end of the cooking process. Recipe is from my Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1 large carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large fennel bulb, stalks discarded, diced
- 1 lb small red potato, quartered
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, minced (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
- 1 large bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and carrot, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked vegetable mixture to a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Add the fennel, potatoes, bell pepper, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, chickpeas, wine, stock, dried thyme and oregano, if using and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- NOTE: if using fresh herbs, add them a few minutes before the end of the cooking time. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.