Mediterranean Vegetable Stew
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 1 lb eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces (can be unpeeled or peeled)
- 2 zucchini, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped with juices (or 2 lb. ripe roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped)
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Put the eggplant and zucchini in a colander; toss with 1 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Rinse under cold water; drain very well and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add in the eggplant and zucchini; cook and stir occasionally for 10 minutes or until lightly browned; Transfer to another bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the Dutch oven; heat; add the onion, celery and red pepper.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Add the garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and increase to high heat.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add in the tomatoes with juice and the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and zucchini back to the pot; continue cooking and stirring for about 20 more minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add in the chickpeas and basil; cook for 5 minutes or so, until the chickpeas are heated through.
- Add in the vinegar; stir.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- I serve this hot over polenta or rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!