Recipe by DailyInspiration
A wonderful combination of yellow squash, mushrooms and tomatoes with feta and oil-cured black olives. Once again, from my Sunset cookbook.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
Oh my goodness, what a tasty, healthy and colorful dish. Hubby and I both love squash, and this is one great recipe for cooked squash that was such a big hit. It was so easy to prepare, too. The bright red tomatoes, deep green onions and creamy white feta cheese really stood out against the yellow squash and cooked mushrooms, creating a tasty dish that also had a lovely presentation with all those beautiful colors. For the olives, I used kalamata and I think it was a good choice, it really gave it a solid Mediterranean flair. This is definitely going on my Best of 2016 list. Thanks, DailyInspiration. This is my newest "keeper" that I know I'll make again and again and again.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yellow squash, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 medium roma tomatoes, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 oil-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a wide nonstick frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add half each of the chopped onion, mushrooms, squash and thyme. Stir fry until squash is hot and bright in color (about 3 minutes). Add 1/4 cup water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the lemon juice to pan; cover and cook until vegetables are just tender to bite (about 3 minutes). Uncover and continue to cook, stirring until liquid has evaporated (about 3 minutes more). Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Repeat to cook remaining chopped onion, mushrooms, squash and thyme, using remaining 1 teaspoon oil; add 1/4 cup water and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice after the first 3 minutes of cooking.
- Return all cooked vegetables to pan; gently stir in tomatoes. Transfer vegetables to a serving dish; sprinkle with green onions, cheese and olives.