Recipe by Trisha W
This pilaf is flavored with white wine and spiced with mediterranean vegetables such as; olives, capers and chickpeas in addition to the regular onion and bell pepper. Makes a wonderful side dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped (green or red)
- 3⁄4 cup chickpeas (or garbanzo beans)
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 10 inches skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil, then stir in the uncooked orzo, and green onion.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the orzo is lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and wine and heat until boiling, then reduce heat, cover and simmer about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the peppers, chickpeas, olives and capers, and cook covered another 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most liquid is absorbed.
- Pour into a bowl and sprinkle with the 2 T of parmesan cheese.