Delicious and Super Healthy Barley Vegetable Pilaf
photo by lauralie41
- Ready In:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup barley (Quick Cooking)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 -2 tablespoon soy sauce
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Stir in barley, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Cook carrots, celery and garlic over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and green onions, continue cooking 3 more minutes.
- Add cooked barley and soy sauce, mix well. Continue cooking over medium heat until heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wonderful side dish, I would even eat this cold. Chopped the mushrooms up small, not my favorites, and enjoyed the earthy flavor. Some of my veggies were thicker than others but I enjoyed the bit of crunch. Used a good handful of green onions and loved the milder flavor. This is a keeper! Thank you so much annya127 for posting this recipes. Made and reviewed for the Cooking Photo forums 5 A DAY-ARE YOU DOING IT ? Fruits & Veggies of summer July event.