A delicious fish casserole with mushrooms, tomatoes, basil and parmesan. You can add shrimps between fish roll-ups if desired.
- 700 g flat fish fillets (1 1/2 pounds, plaice, sole etc)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2.46 ml salt
- 125 g cream cheese with herbs (4 1/2 ounces)
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh oregano
- 250 g medium sized mushrooms (9 ounces, quarter)
- 4 medium tomatoes (deseeded, skin removed and roughly chopped) or 400 g canned tomatoes, drained and chopped (14 ounces)
- 14.79 ml chopped flat leaf parsley
- 14.79 ml chopped basil
- shrimp (optional)
- 44.37 ml chopped flat leaf parsley
- 6 basil leaves, cut in fine strips
- 73.94 ml dry breadcrumbs
- 73.94 ml grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 29.58 ml olive oil or 29.58 ml butter
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- If your fish fillets are large, you need to cut them in half (vertically). They should be easy to be rolled.
- Drizzle lemon juice over the fish. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the cream cheese onto the outer shiny side of fish.
- Roll up fillets. Season with salt and pepper.
- Into a buttered heatproof casserole add quartered mushrooms.
- Place tomatoes on top of mushrooms.
- Add 1 tbsp of parsley and 1 tbsp of basil to the tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Place rolled fish on top of tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Place optional shrimps between fish rolls.
- Provencal Topping:.
- Mix all ingredients except oil/butter.
- Cover the fish with Provencal topping.
- Drizzle with oil or sprinkle with butter flakes.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 220°C / 430°F preheated oven.
- Serve with buttered boiled potatoes sprinkled with chives.
Excellent. I've made this several times and it's always well liked even by those who think they don't like fish. Sometimes I use herbed goat cheese but that can be a little overwhelming.
Thank you for a terrific recipe!
I tried your recipe last night. we have a group that meet once a month for supper. I doubled your recipe with fresh herbs and came home with an empty dish. everyone enjoyed the dish and hoped that i would make it again,except make more. Great recipe.
This was so lovely coming out of the oven! Truly a dinner party type of dish! I halved the recipe, but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. I used all fresh herbs, and these really added to the dish. I really enjoyed this special dinner tonight. Made for PAC Spring 2010.