Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Beef, it's what's for dinner.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 small onions, halved, sliced
- 4 medium shallots, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 325°F Lightly coat beef pot roast with flour. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown pot roast; remove.
- Add 1-1/2 cups water and vinegar to Dutch oven; cook and stir until brown bits attached to pan are dissolved. Return pot roast.
- Add onions, shallots, dates, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover tightly and cook in 325°F oven 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender. Remove pot roast; keep warm.
- Cook liquid and vegetables over medium-high heat to desired consistency. Carve pot roast. Serve with sauce.