Mediterranean Beef and Vegetable Casserole
The vegetable mixture in this recipe is a variation of ratatouille, a popular Mediterranean dish. I found it in my Woman's Day cookbook. It sounded interesting and has become one of my family's favorite recipes -- easy to make and SO delicious.
- Ready In:
For meat patties
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey, if you wish
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons packaged seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled or 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin and rings separated
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 8 ounces zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds (about one zucchini)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves, crumbled finely or 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) can small whole white potatoes, well drained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley (optional)
- Make the patties: In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, breadcrumbs, salt, thyme and red pepper with your hands or a wooden spoon until well-blended. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 1/4-inch thick.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned. (They will finish when they are cooked with the vegetable mixture.) Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the onion to the pan drippings and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
- Increase heat to medium. Add the tomatoes (break up with hands), zucchini, garlic, salt and thyme. Stir to mix. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the zucchini is just tender.
- Stir in the potatoes and parsley. Add the beef or turkey patties and spoon over some of the vegetable mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until heated through. Serve right away.