Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A colorful, healthier take on mixed bean salads, adapted from "Living the G. I. Diet". No sugar! Some sweetness does come from the balsamic vinegar and the sun-dried tomatoes. Other types of canned beans such as pintos or red kidney beans may be substituted, or use a can of corn for more color.
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut in one-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced (or use a red or orange one)
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seed, and diced (or use a small zucchini)
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice with a pinch of sugar)
- 4 tsp.olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup minced fresh mixed herbs (parsley, mint, basil, savory, tarragon, chives, whatever is on hand)
- Fill a large pot with water, salt it, and bring to a boil. Add the beans and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water to stop cooking and set color. Place drained beans in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, pour 1/2 Celsius boiling water (use some of the bean cooking water) over the tomatoes and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking liquid. Chop the tomatoes and add them to the beans. Add the canned beans, peppers, and onion.
- To make dressing, whisk together in a small bowl the vinegar, oil, 2 tablespoons of the soaking liquid, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper. Pour over the salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Add herbs and re-toss 5 minutes before serving.