1/2 Photos of Meatballs in Tomato-Wine Sauce
7 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Makes enough for 1 lb. of pasta. You can use spaghetti, penne, or another chunky pasta
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (or can use 28 oz. can tomato puree)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 T. minced fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 T. minced fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- 2Add in the onion and garlic; stir/saute for a few minutes or until well softened but not browned.
- 3Add in the wine; bring to a boil; continue boiling 1-2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- 4Transfer mixture to the slow cooker.
- 5Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley, allspice, and bay leaf; stir to combine.
- 6Cover and cook on HIGH while you prepare the meatballs.
- 7To make the meatballs: add the ground beef to a large mixing bowl, breaking it up a bit with your fingers or a large fork.
- 8Add in the breadcrumbs, eggs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley, and allspice.
- 9Gently but thoroughly blend the ingredients, using your hands or a large fork.
- 10Be careful not to compact the meat, which will make your meatballs tough.
- 11Gently shape the mixture into 12 meatballs, each a little bigger than a golf ball.
- 12Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat; add in the meatballs and brown on all sides, 6-10 minutes, turning carefully.
- 13Using a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to the slowcooker.
- 14Pour off any fat from the skillet, return to the stove and add the wine.
- 15Cover over high heat for 2-3 minutes, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan.
- 16Pour over the meatballs.
- 17If the meatballs are not covered by tomato sauce, carefully spoon some sauce over them.
- 18Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours.
- 19Remove the bay leaf and serve meatballs and sauce over pasta.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatballs in Tomato-Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.0
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 146.4 mg
- Sodium 1561.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 30.9 g