Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Makes enough for 1 lb. of pasta. You can use spaghetti, penne, or another chunky pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (or can use 28 oz. can tomato puree)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 T. minced fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 T. minced fresh)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add in the onion and garlic; stir/saute for a few minutes or until well softened but not browned.
- Add in the wine; bring to a boil; continue boiling 1-2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley, allspice, and bay leaf; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH while you prepare the meatballs.
- To make the meatballs: add the ground beef to a large mixing bowl, breaking it up a bit with your fingers or a large fork.
- Add in the breadcrumbs, eggs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley, and allspice.
- Gently but thoroughly blend the ingredients, using your hands or a large fork.
- Be careful not to compact the meat, which will make your meatballs tough.
- Gently shape the mixture into 12 meatballs, each a little bigger than a golf ball.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat; add in the meatballs and brown on all sides, 6-10 minutes, turning carefully.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to the slowcooker.
- Pour off any fat from the skillet, return to the stove and add the wine.
- Cover over high heat for 2-3 minutes, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan.
- Pour over the meatballs.
- If the meatballs are not covered by tomato sauce, carefully spoon some sauce over them.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve meatballs and sauce over pasta.
Excellent recipe - I substituted white wine for the red as I had a bottle already opened. I did it in a skillet instead of a slow cooker - worked well. Simmered the sauce & balls on low for 30 minutes Thanks for a tasty dinner