Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Crustly loaves filled with meatballs, sauce, mozzarella and onions and peppers heated to a crunchy, melty finish. This can be made quick and easy with frozen meatballs and ready made sauce, but we like to make our own turkey meatballs and crusty baguettes. The sandwiches in the photo are made using Bergy's Turkey Meatballs (we bake them) and our own sourdough baguettes.
- 30 meatballs (cooked, 1-inch diameter balls. If 1.5-inch balls, use 15 to 20)
- 1⁄4 onion (medium, sliced into thin wedges)
- 1⁄4 bell pepper (any color, sliced into thin wedges)
- 8 ounces spaghetti sauce (use your favorite jarred sauce)
- 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese (packaged, use more if desired)
- 2 French baguettes (thin. totalling 30 inches or 5 submarine buns)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I like herb flavored)
- Either make your own meatballs (see Bergy's Recip #33944) or use frozen meatballs thawed and heated.
- Heat the sauce in a sauce pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Saute vegetables in the olive oil.
- Spoon a small amount of sauce onto each bun or 6" section of baguette.
- Stuff the buns with 3 to 6 meatballs depending on size.
- Add a bit more sauce to each sandwich.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons cheese over each set of meatballs.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet so that the sandwiches support each other and.
- Place into the middle shelf of the oven.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until buns are browned and crusty.
- Cool for 5 to10 minutes and serve with a nice salad or fries.
Great little sandwich. I did make Bergy's meatballs but only made two sandwiches. I used my homemade sauce, mozzarella and buns. Loved it. Will use this easy recipe many times.