Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs
slow cooker revolution cookbook
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 slices high-quality white bread, torn into quarters
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, tomato paste, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer half of onion mixture to large bowl; set aside. Stir wine into skillet with remaining onion mixture and scrape up any browned bites; transfer to slow cooker. Stir tomatoes, water, and soy sauce into slow cooker.
- Add bread and milk to bowl of onion mixture and mash to paste with fork. Mix in ground beef, sausage, Parmesan, parsley, egg yolks, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper using hands. Pinch off and roll mixture into 1.5 inch meatballs (about 18 meatballs total).
- Microwave meatballs on large plate until fat renders and meatballs are firm, 5-7 minutes. Nestle meatballs into slow cooker, discarding rendered fat. Cover and cook until meatballs are tender, 4-6 hours on low.
- Let meatballs and sauce settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Gently stir in basil and sugar, season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste, and serve.