Really delicious, economical and freezes well. From Sara Moulton.
Make and share this Meatball Stroganoff recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb white mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Combine beef, half of chopped onion, garlic, salt, pepper, bread crumbs, egg yolks and 1/2 cup water in a large bowl. Mix well and form into 1 inch meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning often, until well browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Pour off excess fat in pan, leaving about 3 Tablespoons. Add remaining onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until the liquid they give off has evaporated, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add sherry and increase heat to high. Boil until almost all liquid has evaporated.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Rub butter with flour in small bowl until it makes a smooth paste. Pinch off pea sized pieces of mixture and add to boiling stock mixture a bit at a time, whisking constantly, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the meatballs. Stir in sour cream and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until meatballs are just heated through.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.