Recipe by English_Rose
This is a comforting dish to serve to the family and can be made in advance ready to reheat the next day. Both the meatballs and the sauce can be made in advance and chilled in the fridge until ready to assemble and cook. Or the whole dish can be made and frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating thoroughly.
Top Review by Paka
This recipe was not only easy but tasty too! I used frozen meatballs. Also used regular tomato sauce so I added 1tsp of dried basil. The roasted peppers came from the garden this year. I loved the flavor of the peppers. No penne, but those little shells hold a lot of sauce! DH loved the dish, thanks.
- 10 1⁄2 ounces penne
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1⁄2 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped (from a jar will do)
- 14 ounces tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2⁄3 cup beef broth or 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 2 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 1⁄2 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10 mins until just tender but still with a little bite.
- Mix together the beef, egg, oregano, 1oz of the breadcrumbs and season well with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and shape into about 20 meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the meatballs for about 10 mins, turning occasionally until browned.
- Add the red pepper, pasta sauce and the beef broth or red wine. Bring to the boil.
- Stir the drained pasta into the meatballs and pour into a large baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, mozzarella and thyme and bake until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with a large green salad and crusty bread.