Recipe by Terrik
Great hit with my kids at camp, I added broccoli and substituted co-jack cheese for the cheddar, I am sure you can customize it to your liking. This is a Taste of Home July 2006 recipe.
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed to tender (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed (16 oz each)
- 1⁄2 lb turkey, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb hard salami, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb deli ham, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mild cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender; set aside.
- On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 15x12-inch rectangle. Arrange the salami, turkey, ham, and cheeses lengthwise over half of each rectangle to within 1/2 inch of edges.
- Top with onion mixture and broccoli (if used).
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper.
- Fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal well.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing.