Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Smells really good!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce, divided
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper, divided
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F Combine beef, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup bell pepper, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano and black pepper in large bowl; mix well. Pat onto bottom and up side of ungreased 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Bring water and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in medium saucepan. Stir in rice; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Add remaining 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, 1/2 cup cheese and remaining 1/4 cup bell pepper to rice; mix well. Spoon rice mixture into meat shell. Cover with foil; bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drain fat carefully, holding pan lid over top to keep pie from sliding. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Carefully drain fat again. Cut into wedges to serve.
This is a wonderful quick-fix meal! Not too much seasoning but still a good flavor. I used a fairly low fat beef and there was very little grease to drain off. This is an easy to cook meal that is made with things that are always on hand - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2008