Mashed Potato Crust Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 -7 potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (2 7/8 ounce) can French-fried onions
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a skillet, brown ground beef and onion, drain well. Stir in soups, beans and mushroom. Simmer until heated through. Meanwhile, combine hot mashed potatoes, egg, salt and pepper; mix well. Spread into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-in.x9-in.x2-in. baking dish or two greased 9-in. pie plates. Spoon ground beef into the potato crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; sprinkle with french-fried onions and cheese. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Note: If freezing don't include cheddar cheese or french-fried onions prior to freezing.
Join The Conversation
This was DELICIOUS!! I had to make substitutions though...used chicken italian sausage (no ground beef or buffalo in the freezer), and used 2 cream of chicken soups (don't eat mushrooms), but it was absolutely wonderful. Smelled so good in the oven, and tasted great. A new keeper recipe for us ~ "down home cookin" at it's best! Made for Football Pool 2008, Playoff Week #2, Jan 2009. :)
This is definitely a keeper, and the portions are HUGE! Woohoo! I used roasted turkey breast because I have a bunch to use up, and just added it to the sauteed onions along with the soup, beans, and mushrooms. Like other reviewers I halved the recipe, and chose to use the cream of chicken soup (a homemade version from this site). I used fresh green beans and mushrooms that I flash-cooked in the micro first, and I omitted the fried onions b/c we are not fans. Thanks so much for this! It was a delightful comfort meal on a frigid, frigid night! Made for Healthy Choices.
Great Recipe! I scaled back a little on the recipe as I was only making enough for one pie plate. In doing so, I could only use one can of soup and chose the cream of chicken. I used the small size can of green beans and mushrooms...worked like a charm. I did find that it was easier to cut into the pie shape wedge if you let it set for 10-15 mins. Straight from the oven...it doesn't work and its too hot anyways. This recipe is a keeper for me....I really enjoyed it. I will take some to work tomorrow for lunch. Since I will be making the smaller one pie size...it would be a perfect recipe for left over potatoes and veggies. Thanks again for sharing.