Recipe by franja
According to my (late - great) Mother, “The secret to a good pan of Scouse is to let it stew to doll rags”. (Whatever that means!) Although this recipe states Beef Stock Cubes, my mother always used 'Gravy Salt'... She used to 'bulk' this out by adding more potatoes. When we kids were small and there wasn't much money; she made this with 1/4lb of mince and 5lb of potatoes. As a small child I STILL found it yummy!!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 kg carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 kg minced beef
- 1 kg potato, cut into small pieces
- beef bouillon cube (to personal taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat.
- Fry carrot & onion in heated oil until onion is soft & translucent.
- Add mince & stir gently until browned, taking care not to break mince up too much.
- Barely cover with water and add stock cubes.
- Add potatoes and more water if necessary to barely cover.
- Simmer for as long as possible, stirring regularly and adding more water if necessary.
- Serve with bread and butter.