Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This crockpot version is elegant, but inexpensive and very easy to put together -- my husband loves it! I usually serve mine with a salad & freshly-baked loaf of bread. Lots of other French onion soup recipes seem to call for an extreme amount of butter, but I've found that 1 or 2 tablespoons, along with some well-browned onions, will yield a lovely rich flavor.
- 4 medium yellow onions, sliced into thin rings
- 29.58 ml butter
- 236.59 ml red wine
- 29.58 ml flour
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 3 (1105.63 g) can beef broth
- 4.92 ml dark soy sauce or 4.92 ml Gravy Master
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 0.25 ml dried rosemary
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Cook the onions in butter over medium/low heat for 20 minutes or until browned.
- (You want the onions to be a golden color, but NOT black!) Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Mix sugar, flour, a few dashes of pepper& rosemary, and 2/3 cup of the wine into a paste mixture.
- Add this to the onions, and mix well.
- Put the onion mixture into the crockpot.
- Add broth and bay leaves.
- Stir soup mixture very gently. (Stirring doesn't have to be overly thorough... just enough so that the onions are no longer a paste.)
- Cook on "high" for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add soy sauce, buillon cubes, and remaining 1/3 cup of wine.
- Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and enjoy!
Hi! :) I made this last week, and it was deeelicious! Great comfort food on a cold night! I added croutons and mozz. cheese, after I ladled into mugs. It was sooo good! Thank you for the recipe!