Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I thought I had Thanksgiving all figured out until I ran into this recipe. More savory than sweet it might be just the thing to complete that turkey dinner!
- 2 lbs bright-orange sweet potatoes, peeled,cut into 2 inch pieces (about 3 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup mascarpone cheese or 1⁄4 cup cream cheese (2 oz)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Boil sweet potatoes in large saucepan of boiling salted water over medium-high heat 15-20 minutes or until very tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes; return to saucepan.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add pancetta; cook 2-3 minutes or until pancetta begins to brown.
- Add onion; cook 15-20 minutes or until onions are caramelized, stirring frequently.
- Adjust heat, if necessary, to prevent onions from browning too quickly.
- Add vinegar; stir, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Over very low heat, mash sweet potatoes.
- Add mascarpone, salt and pepper.
- Stir in onion mixture.
- *Noteyou can use bacon if you don't have pancetta available.
- Just cook the bacon in a medium pot of boiling water 1 minute.
- Drain and rinse until cool.
- Blanching helps remove some of the smoky flavor from the bacon.