40 hrs 15 mins
I thought I had Thanksgiving all figured out until I ran into this recipe. More savory than sweet it might be just the thing to complete that turkey dinner!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs bright-orange sweet potatoes, peeled,cut into 2 inch pieces (about 3 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese or 1/4 cup cream cheese (2 oz)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1Boil sweet potatoes in large saucepan of boiling salted water over medium-high heat 15-20 minutes or until very tender.
- 2Drain sweet potatoes; return to saucepan.
- 3Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- 4Add pancetta; cook 2-3 minutes or until pancetta begins to brown.
- 5Add onion; cook 15-20 minutes or until onions are caramelized, stirring frequently.
- 6Adjust heat, if necessary, to prevent onions from browning too quickly.
- 7Add vinegar; stir, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- 8Over very low heat, mash sweet potatoes.
- 9Add mascarpone, salt and pepper.
- 10Stir in onion mixture.
- 11*Noteyou can use bacon if you don't have pancetta available.
- 12Just cook the bacon in a medium pot of boiling water 1 minute.
- 13Drain and rinse until cool.
- 14Blanching helps remove some of the smoky flavor from the bacon.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Onion and Pancetta
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 133.3
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 280.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: