1/17 Photos of Mashed Potatoes With Variations
Simple mash with many variations to try
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large saucepan over high heat, combine potatoes and just enough water to cover them. ADD SALT; BRING TO A BOIL. Reduce heat to medium low; cook covered for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain well; return potatoes to saucepan. Place over low heat to dry out potatoes slightly shaking saucepan occasionally to prevent them from sticking.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small microwaveable bowl, heat milk and butter or oil in microwave ob high for 1 – 2 minutes or until steaming. Add milk mixture to potatoes, mash roughly with a fork. With an electric mixer, beat potatoes until smooth and creamy (if you don’t want chunky mash). Don’t over beat, as potatoes will become gluey. Add pepper. If desired, season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Spoon into warm serving dish if used right away. Sprinkle with parsley.
- 3To freeze: spoon into containers, label, seal and freeze.
- 5Pesto potatoes: Omit butter or oil; add ¼ cup (50 ml) each pesto and freshly grated parmesan cheese before beating.
- 6Mustard mash: Use butter instead o foil; add ¼ cup (50 ml) grainy Dijon mustard before beating.
- 7Lemony mash: Use oil not butter; add ¼ cup (50 ml) chopped fresh parsley and 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest before beating.
- 8Cheese and onion mash: Use butter not oil; add 1 cup (250 ml) shredded cheddar cheese Swiss cheese and ¼ cup (50 ml) finely chopped green onions before beating.
- 9Posh French mash: This is called aligot in French. Add 2 peeled cloves of garlic to potatoes before boiling. Drain well, returning garlic with potatoes. Mash as above, using butter not oil. Add 1 cup (250 ml) shredded Gruyere cheese before beating.
- 10Caesar Potatoes: Omit butter and oil; add ½ cup (125 ml) thick Caesar dressing and ¼ cup (50 ml) freshly grated parmesan cheese before beating.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potatoes With Variations
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.1
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 150.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 4.4 g