Avocado Mashed Potatoes
photo by twissis
- Ready In:
- Peel and quarter the potatoes, then wash them thoroughly.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough cold, salted water to cover them and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min, or until cooked through, and drain.
- Meanwhile put butter, lemon and garlic in a saucepan over very, very low. Let it simmer for 20-30 minutes. Discard lemon and garlic.
- Gently mash the avocado.
- When potatoes are done, drain and mashed to your liking. Fold in avocado and butter.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you like creamer mashed potatoes, you can add some milk.
A very satisfying PAC choice, MsPia. I am an avocado lover & have used it in many appys, salads & desserts, but never in potatoes. I made a half recipe as written & found the mellow avocado flavor to be strongly & perfectly present. My avocado was nicely ripe & gave the potatoes a creamy texture w/o adding milk. I served them in the avocado shell topped w/a sml dollop of sour cream & sprinkled w/lemon-pepper seasoning salt because I wanted those flavors stronger. All that said, my only issue here is the amt of butter & a prep method that seems more complex than it needs to be. To satisfy myself I made a 2nd half recipe using std methods, 1/4 cup butter instead of 1 cup + fresh lemon juice & minced garlic. I found the outcome equally satisfying & I am sure improved the nutritional info. Lastly, this mixture does not prevent the usual discoloration using avocado. DH worked late unexpectedly & the *avocado boats* were put in the microwave to be rewarmed. The darker color was not evident till we began to eat them, so I suggest covering w/plastic wrap for later use in that situation. Thx for sharing this unique use of the lovely avocado. :-)