Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The Muffuletta was created from what I thought was the best of several different Muffuletta recipes. I believe it raises the bar for the folks in the crescent city. I have tried the Muffuletta both cold and hot, and prefer the sandwich served hot with the cheeses melting and mixing with the other ingredients.To me it completely changes the quality of the sandwich for the better.
- French bread, with herb topping
- helmanns mayonnaise
- prepared mustard
- 3 ounces of shaved turkey breast
- 3 ounces of shaved pastrami
- 3 ounces genoa salami
- 3 ounces of sandwich pepperoni
- 3 ounces of shaved ham
- 3 ounces bologna
- mozzarella cheese
- cheddar cheese
- swiss cheese or American cheese
- provolone cheese
The Salad Mix will have the following
- 1 1⁄2 cups pimento stuffed olives
- 1 1⁄2 cups black olives
- 1 1⁄2 cups pickled vegetables
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- To make the Salad Mix:.
- Place the pimiento-stuffed olives, black olives, drained pickled garden vegetables, celery and carrots into food processor and chop coarsely.
- Pour ingredients into bowl and add garlic, basil, oregano, black pepper, olive oil, white wine vinegar and sugar.
- Mix well and set aside.
- To Assemble The Sandwich:.
- Slice the French bread in half.
- Spread mayo on to both slices.
- Layer meat on bottom of bread as follows:
- meat, olive salad, squirt of mustard, cheese, and then repeat until all meat and cheeses have been stacked.
- Place slice of bread on top of sandwich.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place the sandwich onto a tray.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Place into the oven for 25 minutes until all of the cheeses have melted and the sandwich meat is hot.
- Uncover, and slice to the size you wish the sandwich to be.
- Stack meat, cheeses and olive salad as direction state, however, now cut the stacked meat into 5 inch sections.
- Cut the bread into 5 inch sections and put mayo on both slices of bread.
- Now place the meat into the microwave for 1.25 minutes until meat and cheese are melted together, remove and set aside.
- Now put the sliced bread into the microwave for 22 seconds.
- Put the meat stack onto the bread, smash down and enjoy.