From Martha Stewart. That woman sure knows how to make a delicious french toast! I have changed her recipe to omit some unneeded calories and fat. It is the best french toast our family has ever had, and our guests all agreed! I make this on a Sunday morning if we still have extra challah left over.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 orange, juice of
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons liquor (I use almond or orange flavored, Martha's recipe states cognac)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (splenda works equally well)
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 slices bread, 1-2 days old (1 inch pieces, challah or brioche are best)
- canola oil, for frying (any neutral oil will do, may add unsalted butter for more flavor)
- 1Whisk together eggs, milk, juice, vanilla, liquor, sugar, zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl.
- 2Place bread in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold bread slices in a single layer.
- 3Pour egg mixture over bread; soak 10 minutes.
- 4Turn slices over (Carefully) and soak 5-10minutes more, until soaked through.
- 5Preheat oven to 200 deg F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- 6Heat canola oil (with some butter if so wish) in a skillet over medium heat.
- 7Fry half the bread slices until golden brown, around 3 minutes per side.
- 8Transfer to wire rack; place in oven while cooking remaining bread.
- 9Wipe skillet and repeat with fresh oil/butter and bread.
- 10Keep in oven until ready to serve.
- 11Serve with dusted powdered sugar and maple syrup (I like fresh berries on top, too).
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Martha's Perfect French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (942 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.7
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 220.0 mg
- Sodium 296.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of