Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This one comes from Everyday Food, from the "Eat Smart" upgrade; sounds good to me, so thought I'd save it here.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia)
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn flakes
- 1⁄2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450; pour oil onto rimmed baking sheet; set aside.
- Slice onion four times across, to make wide rings; discard the small inside ones (chop & freeze-dry for later use); set aside.
- Pulse cornflakes and breadcrumbs in blender/processor until very fine crumbs; transfer to medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, whisk egg, milk, flour and seasonings.
- Place oiled baking sheet in oven for TWO MINUTES to heat up.
- Dip rings into egg mixture (let excess drip off), dredge in cornflake mixture; place on a plate.
- Arrange onion rings on heated oil-sheet; bake (turning once) until rings are golden brown (about 16 minutes).
- Season with more salt.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Eat as is, with your choice of dipping sauce (ketchup, ketchup/yellow mustard, Zip's Sauce, ranch, barbecue, etc).
- Serve skinny cut rings over the top of your favorite burger. Especially good on mushroom-n-Swiss burgers!
I made these tonight and they were awesome. Followed the recipe exactly, except I used Panko breadcrumbs instead of regular breadcrumbs. Tasted as good as those deep fried rings, without all the grease.