From the " Ford Treasury of Favorite Recipes from Favorite Eating Places" Volume 3. This is the best Goulash Recipe! From the Mark Twain Hotel, Elmira NY. The original recipe uses 2 pounds of 1 inch cubed lean round of beef. If using cubed beef, cooking time will be until the beef is tender (longer time than given below).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3 onions, medium size, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 marjoram, blade
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 4 green peppers, diced
- beef broth
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1Separate gorund beef into small meatballs, set aside.
- 2Melt shortening in a skillet and brown the sliced onions.
- 3Remove the onions and place them in a Dutch oven.
- 4Brown the meatballs in the same pan drippings.
- 5Add paprika, marjoram, garlic and some salt/pepper (to taste).
- 6Stir the mixture in the skillet; then pour it all into the dutch oven.
- 7Add the green peppers to the dutch oven.
- 8Add enough beef broth to the dutch oven to cover.
- 9Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- 10Cream the flour and butter together.
- 11Stir into the sauce and cook, stirring often, until the goulash is smooth and thickened.
- 12Add the sour cream (and optional caraway seeds) and cook a little longer. Before serving, add more salt and pepper if needed.
- 13Serve over rice or noodles.
Browse Our Top Meatballs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mark Twain Hotel Gypsy Beef Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (490 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.5
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 177.4 mg
- Sodium 217.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 48.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: