1/1 Photo of Mario Batali's Fettuccine Bolognese
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A hearty, stick to the ribs entree from TV chef Mario Batali. I substitute ground beef for the harder to find veal. Taken from Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb ground pork
- 4 ounces pancetta or 4 ounces bacon, finely chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, in juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, celery and garlic an saute until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- 3Increase heat to high; add veal, pork, pancetta or bacon and saute until meat is brown, breaking up meat with the back of a fork, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes with their juices, 1 3/4 cups chicken broth, milk and thyme.
- 5Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 1 hour 15 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with the back of a spoon, adding more chicken broth if mixture is too thick and stirring occasionally.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Cook fettuccine in large pot of boiling water just until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally.
- 9Add fettuccine to pot with ragu and toss to blend.
- 10Transfer to large bowl.
- 11Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- 12Serve, passing remaining Parmesan seperately.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mario Batali's Fettuccine Bolognese
Serving Size: 1 (817 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1130.5
- Calories from Fat 525
- Total Fat 58.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 271.8 mg
- Sodium 655.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 69.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: