Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This has been made for years in our family and is a New Year's Day tradition.
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (2 1/2 teaspoon) envelope gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black walnut extract (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 finely chopped walnuts
- 1 baked graham cracker crust or 1 flour pie crust
- Heat maple syrup and add to beaten egg yolks in a double boiler. Stirring constantly cook until thickened. Add salt.
- Soak gelatin in cold water and add to hot egg yolk mixture, mixing well. Let cool to room temperature until just beginning to set.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Add sugar(with vanilla added) gradually and beat until stiff, but not dry.
- Whip cream. Gently fold in egg white and whipped cream to cooled egg yolk mixture.
- Sprinkle top with finely chopped walnuts and refrigerate until set(2-4 hours).