Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Food & Wine. Try serving this for breakfast!
Make and share this Maple Cornbread With Pecans and Vanilla Currants recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or 1⁄3 cup corn oil
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, toss the currants with the vanilla. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Coat a 9-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the buttermilk and maple syrup.
- Add to the dry ingredients and pour the melted butter on top. Stir just until the batter is thoroughly blended, then fold in the currants, corn and pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the corn bread is golden around the edges and the top feels firm when gently pressed.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.