Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ketchup or 2 cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 9 juniper berries
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 lbs caribou ribs
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- In large non-metal bowl, combine all the ingredients except the ribs and pepper.
- Blend well and put in the ribs to marinade overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle ribs with pepper.
- Place in 5 qt.
- roasting pan in a double layer.
- Roast 1 hour.
- Pour sauce over ribs.
- Increase heat to 350 degrees and bake until ribs just begin to char on top, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn ribs over cover pan and bake about 30 minutes longer, until ribs are tender and sauce is thick.
- To serve, place ribs on serving platter.
- Serve the sauce in a gravy boat on the side.