Recipe by papurdawl
Sweet, juicy, delicious maple apple roast turkey. This has become a family tradition since the recipe has become so popular in our household. The gravy works great on the turkey and stuffing along with mashed potatoes if desired.
Top Review by Outta Here
I am giving this 4-stars based on flavor. Could have been 5-stars but the directions are confusing (step 2 and 8) and ingredient list is out of order. I finally just stuffed the bird with the fruit and vegies and roasted as I normally would, basting with the apple juice mixture. Very flavorful. Made for Fall 2008 PAC.
- 1 (16 lb) whole turkey
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 apples, cored and halved
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup apple brandy
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Turkey must be thoroughly thawed with neck and giblets removed.
- Wash cavities well with cold water. Pat dry.
- In a saucepan combine of the apple juice, maple syrup, and apple brandy and bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue cooking until reduced to ½ cup, them remove pan from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon marjoram, and lemon zest. Stir in ¾ cup of butter until melted, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Place turkey in a large roasting pan and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place rack in lower third position of oven.
- Gently loosen the turkey skin on the breast by sliding your hands between the skin and the bird. Insert ½ cup of butter between the skin and the breast of turkey.
- In a bowl toss together chopped celery, chopped apple, carrot, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Fill up the turkey cavity and use the left overs to arrange around and on the bottom of the roasting pan with chicken broth.
- Place the giblets and neck in the bottom of roasting pan.
- Pour apple juice maple mix inside the turkey cavity and outside the turkey. Leave 2 cups of broth in pan.
- Roast turkey for 30 minutes in preheated oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F Cover entire turkey loosely with foil. Continue roasting for about 3 hours or until turkey thermometer reads 175-180°F in thighs. Baste often.
- Transfer turkey to platter, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir turkey juices into a large measuring cop, them remove any access fat. Add enough chicken broth to pan juices to measure approximately 3 cups. Transfer liquid to a saucepan, and bring to boil. Add 1/4 cup of flour until smooth. Whisk flout and butter mixture into broth mixture. Stir remaining thyme and bay leaf. Boil until reduced to sauce consistency for about 10 minutes Season with salt and pepper to taste.