Recipe by Heart 'N Soul
These are a welcome break from the muffins we all know so well - they are easy to make and I never have to worry that my teens are running out without breakfast when I make these, as these are a big hit with them. The recipe comes from the Malt-o-meal Hot Wheat Cereal (Maple & Brown sugar flavor) box. These muffins are best when just made and still warm with a little butter if you like - they tend to be a bit on the dry side if not eaten the same day - but normally they are all eaten before this happens!
Top Review by Parrot Head Mama
I'm going to reserve judgement/rating on these until I have the correct ingredients. I wanted to make them, spur of the moment, but only could find "Maple & Brown Sugar" instant oatmeal (not "Malt-O-Meal" like the recipe calls for). I did post to the "Cooking Q&A" forum, asking if anyone thought *maybe* it would still be OK to try the muffins. The only suggestion that was made was that I put the oatmeal in the blender, to make it finer, closer to the texture of the Malt-O-Meal. I did so, followed the directions otherwise, and just didn't care for the results. I *am* going to be on the lookout for the flavored Malt-O-Meal, to try this again, but wanted to forewarn anyone else that might get the notion to try to substitute. I'll definately report back once I locate the Malt-O-Meal. Thanks for posting this recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup maple and brown sugar flavored hot wheat cereal mix (Malt-o-Meal)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Blend all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all Remaining ingredients.
- Stir until moistened (batter seems to NOT have lumps).
- Spoon batter into paper-lined or greased muffin pans, filling cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until center is firm to touch.