Overnight Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal
photo by The Food Gays
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 5mins
- 6 cups apple cider (add 1-2 cups of water if you like thin oatmeal)
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar (up to 1/4 cup, depending on preferred sweetness )
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coat the inside of a 4-5 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker and stir. I find it helpful to mix the brown sugar with the cinnamon; the cinnamon gets better incorporated and doesn't separate from the mix as much.
- Cook for 7-8 hours on low.
- Stir thoroughly before serving with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers; reheat with a splash of milk.
- *This recipe is easily cut in half for smaller slow-cookers. A time of 4 hours is optimal.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I grew up in the kitchen...not necessarily cooking, but foraging in the pantry and fridge for fun things to eat! I've always been fascinated by food--talking about it, connecting with people through it, and reading up on it (I can read restaurant menus and cookbooks for days). Fast forward to today, and I'm now an online editor for Food.com and the Cooking Channel. I love being part of the discussion--and the network--of food enthusiasts and home cooks. I continually take inspiration from the online world into my own space, as I seek big-impact recipes that'll work with my small space, budget and amount of time.</p>